Annual Pilgrimage Sites

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Pilgrimage Sites, Archdiocese of Regina

Some dates are subject to change each year.

 

Grotto Kateri Tekakwitha, File Hills

File HIlls

The grotto was built in 1987 to celebrate the Marian Year. The Blessed Kateri Shrine and a native cairn were also constructed and in 1988 a Way of the Cross was added. The cairn is made of split field stones designed in the shape of an eagle, a traditional symbol for the Great Spirit.

  • (The shrine is 12 km. east of Balcarres on Highway #10, and 6 km. north)
  • Annual pilgrimage is Sunday June 25, 2017. The day begins at 12:30 p.m. with a traditional feast followed by Mass and a Flower Day celebration revisiting the cemetary. Everyone is welcome.
  • Contact Sr. Bernadette Feist (306) 332-6838 or Lloyd Desnomie at (306)334-2808

 **********************************************************************************************

Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, Rama

Rama

In 1933 Oblate Father Anthony Sylla, OMI was appointed the first resident pastor.  Fr. Sylla had a personal devotion to Mary and he began planning the the building of a grotto with his Polish and Ukrainian parishioners.  The onset of the depression years delayed his plans.  Construction began in 1939 and in 1940 a large front wall and side wings were erected in the form of a half circle. 

On June 15, 1941, Msgr A.J. Janssen, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Regina, blessed the shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes.  The first pilgrimage was organized  that year. 

In 1944 a cross was placed on top of the grotto and statues of the Sorrowful Mother and Saint John were erected at the foot of the cross.   Three statues of Christ were added to the grotto as well - statues depicting the Lord taken down from the cross, one of the Lord in the Tomb and one of the Resurrection of Jesus.  In 1954 the Knights of Columbus donated a statue of Our Lady of Grace and built an artificial lake.  In the late 1959 the Stations of the Cross were erected around the grotto.

 Rama is 45 km. northwest of Canora next to St. Anthony's Church on Highway #5

The annual pilgrimage is held on August 14th 15th 2017

Program for Monday, August 14

Vigil of the Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary

5:00 pm ......... Supper at the Parish Hall (Prebook by August 1, call 306-593-6120

6:00  pm.........Hymns of Praise to Mary (Filipino  Choir)

6 - 7:45pm.........Confessions

8:00 pm.........* Unveiling & Blessing of the statues of St. John Paul II & St. Mother Teresa,  and Procession with the International Pilgrim Virgin Statue of Our Lady of Fatima with a Fatima Message in Celebration of the100th Anniversary

  • Holy Mass
  • Rosary
  • Candlelight Procession
  • Benediction of The Blessed Sacrament
  • Private Prayers

 Tuesday, August 15th

Feast of The Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary

8:30 am .........  "Godzinki"- Morning devotional prayers to Mary In Polish (Church)

9:00 am.........   Mass in Polish (church)

10:00 am.........  Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite (Grotto) 11:00 am ......... Stations of the Cross, Anointing of the Sick & Aged

12:15 pm ......... Procession with "travelling" statue & Fatima Message Final Mass with Blessing for Plenary Indulgence Blessing of Religious articles

Lunch in Parish Hall.

 For more information Contact St. Patrick's Parish in Sturgis Phone: (306)548-2042

 ********************************************************************************************

Our Lady of LaSalette, Forget

Forget

The La Salette Fathers introduced devotions to Our Lady of La Salette in the first church established at Forget in 1899.  Pilgrimages were held here from 1922 to 1929.  In the early fifties, under the direction of Rev. H. Poirier, an impressive outdoor shrine of fieldstone was erected.  Annual pilgrimages to the shrine were revived by Archbishop O’Neill in 1954.

Forget is off Highway 13 and is 11 kms east of Stoughton. 

  • Annual pilgrimage is held on the second Sunday of June
  • Please accept our warm invitation to attend this annual event.
  • (Food & drink are available. Please bring your own lawn chairs.)

Contact Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Lampman at (306) 487-2497

 **********************************************************************************************

 Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, Kaposvar

Kaspovar

Kaposvar is five kilometres south of Esterhazy, near the Manitoba border.

Kaposvar was founded by Count Paul Esterhazy who brought Hungarian families to settle here in 1886.  A simple log church was built in 1892. The present church was constructed on 1906 and 1907 by brothers of Father Jules Pirot.  Hungarian settlers hauled stones by land boats  from their surrounding farms and assisted in the construction of the church. It was officially opened in 1908.  During 1941-42 the youth of the parish built the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes.  The first pilgrimage took place in the Marian Year of 1954 and attracted some 2500 pilgrims.  A stone Stations of the Cross was built in 1986.

In 1961 the parish amalgamated with Our Lady of Victories Roman Catholic Church as there were no longer enough farmers to maintain the upkeep of the church. During this time Kaposvar was made a mission and used for weddings, anniversaries, or special request masses. Presently, it is still used for such occasions.  This historical site has been the scene of an annual pilgrimage each summer with hundreds of people in attendance.(The Shrine is 5 km. south of Esterhazy)

This year's Pigrimmage will be on Sunday August 20th

More information to come or call Our Lady of Victories Church in Esterhazy (306) 745-3315 Monday to Thursday morning for more information

 **********************************************************************************************

Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, Kronau

Kronau

In 1913 Rev. Henry Metzger, a French priest from Alsace-Lorraine, was assigned to St. Peter’s Colony at Kronau.  He envisioned a grotto built in honour of Our Lady of Lourdes on the banks that skirted Many Bone Creek.

The people were determined to build a shrine as planned and excavation began in the spring of 1917.  After two months of concentrated community effort , the grotto, the first in the archdiocese was completed.  The first pilgrimage was held on August 15, 1917 with five thousand pilgrims in attendance.  Archbishop Mathieu came to bless the shrine.

Schedule:    The annual pilgrimage is held on the weekend of the second Sunday in August.  Activities include morning Mass, afternoon Marian devotions, Blessing of the Sick, Rosary and procession with the statue of Mary.  Marian devotions are also held at the grotto during the month of May.

(Kronau is 24 km. southeast of  Regina on Highway #33. The shrine is 10 km. east of Kronau)

Annual pilgrimage is held on second weekend of August

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12 2017

  • 5:30 P.M. WELCOME  BBQ
  • 7:30 P.M. HOMECOMING MASS

SUNDAY, AUGUST 13 2017

  • 1:00 PM Rosary in the Grotto
  • 1:00 PM Reconciliation in the Church
  • 2:00 PM Pilgrimage Mass
  •  (Anointing of the Sick and Benedication following the Mass.)

Meal following Mass – meal to purchase or bring your own and visit under the tent.

For more information visit our website www.stpeterskronau.ca, “like” us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/stpetersheritagekronau or call Jeanette Schaeffer 306-762-2185

Contact St. Joseph Parish, Balgonie (306) 771-2387

 

To find out more about the history of St. Peter's Colony visit the Kronau museum web site
click here:  www.stpeterskronau.ca

 *********************************************************************************************

Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine, Ponteix

Ponteix

83nd ANNUAL PRIGRIMAGE OF OUR LADY OF AUVERGNE
PONTEIX, SK

Ponteix is 78 km west of Assiniboia on Highway 13. 

In 1908 Father Albert Royer founded the parish of Notre-Dame d’Auvergne (Our Lady of Auvergne) in this mainly French farming community. A 400-year old statue of Our Lady of Sorrows was given to Fr. Royer by a friend from Auvergne, France. The statue was originally covered in gold. It had been hidden by peasants during the French Revolution to save it from desecration and vandalism.

The statue was the only thing to survive a fire that destroyed the church in 1922. The new church was completed in 1930 and in 1934 the pilgrimages began.

(Ponteix is 78 km. west of Assiniboia on Highway #13)

Sunday, July 16th , 2017. From 2pm to 9pm

THEME:  “The Lord Has Done Great Things For Me, And Holy Is His Name”. (Luke 1: 49)

Guest Speaker: Most Rev. Donald Bolen, Archbishop of Regina
Speakers:  Archdiocesan Youth Team (Regina)
VenueOur Lady of Auvergne Catholic Church, Ponteix, Sk

PROGRAM:

2:00pm: - Welcome & Introduction of the Speakers

2:05pm: - Presentation by the Archdiocesan Youth Team (Regina)

3:00pm: - Coffee Break & Refreshment at the Parish Hall

3:30pm: - Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament (Songs by the Youth Team)

-         Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)

-         The Chaplet of Divine Mercy (By Mrs. Annette Labelle)

4:40pm: - Anointing of Sick

5:30pm: - Supper at the Parish hall

7:30pm: - Holy Mass Presided by Archbishop Donald

-         Followed by Candle light Procession with the Pieta

Lunch will follow at the Parish Hall

Contact pastor of Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish, Ponteix at (306) 625-3207

 ****************************************************************************************

Shrine of Mary, Queen of Hearts, Lestock

Lestock

In the 1930's and 1940's parish priest, Father J. A. Menard, encouraged devotion to Mary, Queen of All Hearts and received approval by Archbishop Monahan in 1942.  In 1943 a statue of Our Lady was erected.  In 1951 the title of the church was changed from St. Gertrude to Mary, Queen of All Hearts.   Archbishop O’Neill authorized the erection of a shrine adjoining the new rectory .

The first public pilgrimage was held during the 1954 Marian year. 

Qu’Appelle Deanery Pilgrimage will be held on
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Mary, Queen of All Hearts Shrine in Lestock.
 

(Lestock is 110 km. north of Regina on Highway #6, and is 42 km. east of Raymore on Highway #15)

Contact Mary Queen of Hearts Parish, Lestock at (306) 746-2081

Mary Our Mother Our Family Rock 

PROGRAM

  • 2:00 Reconciliation (Confession in the church)
    Adoration of blessed Sacrament
  • 3:00 Living Rosary Novena Devotions
  • 4:00 Celebration of the Eucharist
    Anointing of the sick
  • 5:00 Supper - Adults: $10, Children undr 12: $6.00, Pre-school: Free
  • Please bring
    Lawn chairs,
    Umbrella
    Goods to donate to silent auction (optional)

Everyone is welcome to attend.