By Frank Flegel
RAMA..….This tiny village of 75 souls† could become known as the Village of the Three Saints. Thanks to the generosity of two local families and the efforts of St. Anthony’s Parish Council, statues of Saints Gianna Beretta Molla, Pope John Paul II, and Mother Theresa, stand in a group beside the church. With the Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes on the west side of the church and the three saints on the east, the church is bracketed by awe inspiring symbols of the faith commitment of Rama’s population.
Rama was settled by Polish immigrants in the late 1800s to early 1900s. It is located in east central Saskatchewan in the parkland area of the province about an hour’s drive northwest of Yorkton. Soon after the first settlers arrived they began building signs of their faith, a church, then a grotto made of stones gathered from the surrounding fields. The grotto was completed in 1941 and since then an annual pilgrimage has been held on August 14 and 15 - the...Read More