By Frank Flegel
In 1913, Father Henri Metzger looked at the sloped hillside of Manybone Creek near Kronau and envisioned a Shrine to the Blessed Virgin, similar to what he saw at Lourdes, France.
He mobilized the tiny community of St. Peter’s Colony to dig into the hillside and haul rocks from the surrounding fields to build his dream. Four years later, on August 15, 1917, the first pilgrimage was held to the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes. Archbishop Olivier Mathieu celebrated the inaugural mass.