St. Peter’s Hospital, Melville Celebrates Its 75th Anniversary
Last Updated on June 17, 2015
The main foyer of the newly renovated St. Peter’s Hospital was filled with warmth, excitement and joy as the participants gathered in the sunshine to celebrate St. Peter’s Hospital 75th Anniversary. Seventy-five years ago Archbishop P. J. Monahan called the Sisters of St. Martha to come to Melville and manage the Melville Municipal Hospital. The sister’s arrived on June 28, 1940 the Feast Day of St. Peter. By 1942 the name was changed to St. Peter’ Hospital. The sisters of St. Martha served the community for 40 years. In 1980 the ownership of the hospital was transferred to the Catholic Heath Ministry of Saskatchewan (CHMS).
The daylong event started with a mass of celebration led by The Very Rev. Lorne Crozon, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Regina. The music for the mass was joyfully sung by the Shaegula Choir from St. Henry’s Junior School grade 3, 4, and 5 classes. Their young voices added freshness to the event that only children can do. The name “Shaegula” means most precious belonging. The children of the school and the patients in the hospital are precious to us; so a very fitting name.
Father Lorne, in his homily, spoke of the Sisters’ dedication to the hospital; how the love and joy of the expressed by the Sisters’ acted as pockets of hope to the world and to the people of Melville and surrounding area.
Later in the afternoon a rededication ceremony was held. During the celebration The Very Rev. Father Lorne blessed the two statues of St. Martha donated to the Hospital by Sisters of St. Martha. Sr. Ethel Cody and Sr. Mary Delores Goetz, both members of the order of St. Martha, travelled from Nova Scotia and Calgary, respectively, to be a part of the celebration. St. Mary Delores brought greetings on behalf of the order. She recalled wonderful memories of the people she met while working at the hospital.
Greetings were also brought from the Archdiocese of Regina, Catholic Health Ministry of Saskatchewan, Sunrise Health Region, St. Paul’s Lutheran Home and the Melville Association of Christian Churches. The hospital, patients, staff and Board members received a blessing during the event. Sister Ethel led the reading of the Prayer to St. Martha. The prayer asks us to trust in God and express our love through loving service to others.
The day concluded with the Cutting of the Anniversary cake and tea served by the St. Peter’s Hospital Ladies Auxiliary. These ladies truly exemplify the model of St. Martha.
May we all followed Jesus’ call to be disciples and extend our healing call and care for the sick in our communities and in the world.