The Diocese of Regina was formed in 1910 and it was named an Archdiocese five years later and is now one hundred years old. There are nearly 124,000 parishioners living in 150 parishes and missions scattered over more than 155,000 square kilometers. For more about the history of the Archdiocese please check out our Archives.
Dedicated to Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, Regina’s cathedral is one of the province’s most beautiful and imposing churches, and has in recent decades given its name to a district of the city’s west end, the Cathedral area. It stands as eloquent testimony to the faith, generosity, and hope for the future of Regina’s early Catholics. It measures 200’ by 90’, and features two tall, elegant spires pointing heavenward. In the east tower is a large bell donated in 1915 by the parish Altar Guild. The cathedral’s dozens of beautiful stained glass windows were completed in 1949/50 by the artisan André Rault of Rennes, France, who remarked that of all his work, these windows gave him the most pleasure.
Our Lady of the Assumption Co-cathedral Gravelbourg
The Church of St. Philomena became the Cathedral of St. Philomena July 27, 1930, and was later renamed the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption in 1965.
It is an imposing edifice that can accommodate up to 1,500 persons. It measure 54.8 metres in length, 25.9 metres in width at the transept, 15.8 metre in the nave and is 19.8 metres in height in its main body.
The facade, illuminated by a stained glass window depicting the Assumption of Our Lady, is flanked by twin towers crowned by cupolas that rise to a height of 53.3 metres. It is a steel frame structure with the outside walls of fireproof brick, light tan in colour, with trimming of Indiana stone.
The four bells are alternately engraved with the names: Philomène, Pierre, Charles, Joseph-Émilienne and were donated by parishioners.
The contract cost was $96,618. and the final tally of expenses amounted to $287,515. The required funding was provided by donations from parishioners and anonymous benefactors.
The construction began in 1918 and the Most Reverend O. E. Mathieu, Archbishop of Regina, presided at the blessing ceremony on November 5, 1919. The architect, J. E. Fortin of Montreal, chose a style that combined the Romanesque and Italian Renaissance. The interior decoration is entirely from the hand of Msgr. Charles Maillard, pastor of Gravelbourg. He dedicated ten years of his life (1921 - 1931) to this work.
It is to be noted that the plan of the nave was modified to accommodate the liturgical norms of the Vatican II Council.
On September 14th 1998, Pope John Paul II announced major boundary changes in Saskatchewan, the effect of which was to merge the diocese of Gravelbourg and the Archdiocese of Regina. An official decree from Rome designated Our Lady of Assumption Cathedral as a co-cathedral of the archdiocese.