Dedicated to Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, Regina’s cathedral is one of the province’s most beautiful and imposing churches, and has in recent decades given its name to a district of the city’s west end, the Cathedral area. It stands as eloquent testimony to the faith, generosity, and hope for the future of Regina’s early Catholics. It measures 200’ by 90’, and features two tall, elegant spires pointing heavenward. In the east tower is a large bell donated in 1915 by the parish Altar Guild. The cathedral’s dozens of beautiful stained glass windows were completed in 1949/50 by the artisan André Rault of Rennes, France, who remarked that of all his work, these windows gave him the most pleasure.
The Mother Church of the Archdiocese offers tours throughout the year. The tour lasts about 40 minutes and includes: a brief history of the Diocese and Cathedral; certain artifacts and objects within the Cathedral; the McGuigan-Casavant organ; the Holy Door; and the stained glass windows.
To book a tour, call the parish office at 306-565-0909, holyrosaryaccesscomm [dot] ca (e-mail) or drop in to the parish office at 2104 Garnet Street.
Lapel pins, shirts, and souvenir photos are available at the office as well as the Holy Sites of the Archdiocese brochure ($1.00).
Our Lady of the Assumption Co-cathedral - Gravelbourg
The Church of St. Philomena became the Cathedral of St. Philomena July 27, 1930, and was later renamed the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption in 1965.
It is an imposing edifice that can accommodate up to 1,500 persons. It measure 54.8 metres in length, 25.9 metres in width at the transept, 15.8 metre in the nave and is 19.8 metres in height in its main body.
The facade, illuminated by a stained glass window depicting the Assumption of Our Lady, is flanked by twin towers crowned by cupolas that rise to a height of 53.3 metres. It is a steel frame structure with the outside walls of fireproof brick, light tan in colour, with trimming of Indiana stone.
The four bells are alternately engraved with the names: Philomène, Pierre, Charles, Joseph-Émilienne and were donated by parishioners.
The contract cost was $96,618. and the final tally of expenses amounted to $287,515. The required funding was provided by donations from parishioners and anonymous benefactors.
The construction began in 1918 and the Most Reverend O. E. Mathieu, Archbishop of Regina, presided at the blessing ceremony on November 5, 1919. The architect, J. E. Fortin of Montreal, chose a style that combined the Romanesque and Italian Renaissance. The interior decoration is entirely from the hand of Msgr. Charles Maillard, pastor of Gravelbourg. He dedicated ten years of his life (1921 - 1931) to this work.
It is to be noted that the plan of the nave was modified to accommodate the liturgical norms of the Vatican II Council.
On September 14th 1998, Pope John Paul II announced major boundary changes in Saskatchewan, the effect of which was to merge the diocese of Gravelbourg and the Archdiocese of Regina. An official decree from Rome designated Our Lady of Assumption Cathedral as a co-cathedral of the archdiocese.
Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms' external ornaments are composed of the pontifical hat with its ten tassels on each side, disposed in four rows, all in green, and the archiepiscopal cross with double traverse in gold. These are the presently-accepted heraldic trappings of a prelate of the rank of archbishop.
The mitre and crozier are symbols of the office of bishop.
At the centre is the Archdiocese of Regina's patroness, Mary, Queen of Heaven.
The Coat of Arms appeared on the cover of the inaugural issue of the SALVE REGINA Quarterly 1934.